Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Georgia To Start Requiring Ninth Graders To Choose A Career Path

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (12/12, Badertscher) reported, "Following a national trend, Georgia is about to start requiring its ninth graders to pick a career path and follow a class schedule that's at least partially tailored to it." The Journal-Constitution reported, "Public school students will pick a potential job to pursue in one of 17 broad career categories, known as career pathway clusters." State School Superintendent John Barge "and key lawmakers say the state has to make this move, if students are to have hope of getting the jobs of the future -- nearly half of which are forecast to go to people with an associate degree or occupational certificate."

3 comments:

  1. I do not like the idea of making a child do this. What happens if they decide, at graduation, that is not their path for life. Will they have been robbed of a well rounded education?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted anonymously because of the post not working correctly. I am not happy with changes that seem to keep happening with education. I don't want a drone at graduation...I want a child who knows how to think for themselves, creative, analytical thinker, etc. Not a child to had their highschool education tailored to a specific degree, and told to learn specific things to pass a standardized test. I may be thinking of other school options before my child gets to 9th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think those are both really valid points. I think about how many college students wind up changing their minds and their majors before graduating.

    ReplyDelete