Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Learning on the Run

Raquel, a 4th Grade Teacher in Eldridge, Iowa, keeps her students learning and moving all at once.  Read on to find out how she conquers the fidgets.

Here's a game for when students need a break from sitting still and you still have content to cover. I start by telling my students to stand behind their chairs and jog in place. Then, when I call out one student's name, everyone must stop and that one student I called on must answer a question related to the content we are working on. For example, I might throw out a math problem or a reading comprehension question. Anything goes.

The student has only seven seconds to answer the question. If he or she answers correctly, that student gets to sit down. If he or she answers incorrectly, everyone must run in place, do jumping jacks, hand circles, or any other physical activity I name. The student that missed the question must remain standing for the next round. This activity is an energizer that encourages students to learn and focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment